Professor Ron Rapee, of Macquarie University, and Julie Leitch, of WayAhead are joined by guests, Amanda, Stefanie and Lisa, to talk about some of the most common questions around childhood anxiety.
The speakers have a vast range of expertise as people with a lived experience of mental illness, parents, teachers and experts in childhood anxiety.
Skip to specific questions:
- How do children develop anxiety disorders? 0:45
- When does normal anxiety become a disorder? 2:22
- What might anxiety in children look like? 3:06
- What are some strategies for managing and treating anxiety? 6:14
- How long do anxiety disorders in children last? 13:08
- How can you get help? 15:35
- Is online therapy a good option? 19:40
- Was getting treatment worthwhile? 20:57
Bullying and anxiety
What are the links between bullying and childhood anxiety?
The negative impacts of childhood anxiety
Is anxiety in children a negative thing?
Childhood anxiety and the family
What are the impacts of a child’s anxiety on their family?
What are some of the ways families try to help that can be unhelpful?
Macquarie University PACE Program
and Collective Purpose
These videos were filmed on Darug and Gadigal country.